Friday 8 April 2011

Small Blanket Part 1

Hi - I have always wanted to knit a blanket made of squares and eventually got around to buying some yarn and making some squares. So, I bought 2 x 50 g balls each of baby blue, pink and cream in Twilleys of Stamford freedom Gorgeous which is a 4ply yarn in bamboo and nylon.

I wanted to use the garter carriage and not only have squares of different colours but also of different textures.  I started with the blue and knit a square with my garter carriage in plain garter stitch.  After some trial and error, I decided to make a square of 42 sts x 85 rows and after settling this measures as a 5 inch square.


Blue garter square on machine

Next I used the cream and knit squares 45 sts x 64 rows in stocking stitch which curled a lot at the ends.

So, I had to spend yesterday morning blocking them out and steaming them - a job I hate doing as I am always a bit unsure what may happen to the wool.


Blocking squares

I will get 5 squares out of the 50g ball, so should end up with 30 squares.

I still have the pink wool to use and hope to make a pattern of a heart which will be knit in my garter carriage.  Will update later.  Enjoy the sunshine.

No comments: