Wednesday 7 December 2011

About my loom

First of all I have not blogged for a while.  I just could not get time between work and family.  Anyway, I had an enquiry about my loom.  It is an Ashford Knitter's Loom - which basically means it folds in half and can therefore be easily stored away when in use or not in use as the case may be.  It is a 12" Regid Heddle Loom.

Folded Loom

Opened up with heddle inserted.
 I bought it while on holiday in England as I could not find a stockist in Northern Ireland. I got it from Norfolk Yarns at http://www.norfolkyarn.co.uk/.  The lady had a loom set up in the shop and ran through with me how to thread it up and start to weave which was really helpful.
I have found the loom easy to thread up and weave on, as I am a complete novice.  So far, I have just made scarves.  The heddle supplied is for fancy wool - I have used double knit, chunky and a fancy yarn.  On hindsight, I should have got a wider loom so I would not be restricted by width - although I suppose I could join 2 lengths together if I want a wider material.

Woven scarf with Curly Wurly Wool
I am still experimenting with the loom but am enjoying the learning curve. 

No comments: