Monday 21 March 2011

Hobby Horse

I finally completed my Hobby Horse. This is for exhibitions which the NI Machine Knitters Guild are holding throughout the year.  The first one is at the Kings Hall, at The Stitch and Creative Craft Show from 14th - 16th April.  The Guild always has a stand at the exhibition and the theme this year is The Knitted Nursery.

A guild member got me the pattern from Machine Knitted Toy Collection Book 1 and the pattern was easy to follow.  My only mistake was that I used red for the reins which were knitted on the nose and then I used the little piece of red wool up on a cushion! I don't know what I was thinking.  I tried various local wool shops for a small ball of red 4ply wool,  but all they sell are pale baby colours. In the end I had to order it online from Yeoman Yarns.  I ordered it last Sunday, and by Wednesday there was no email confirming they had sent me the item. I telephoned them and they told me it was out of stock and would not be in until about 2 weeks! I explained what it was for and the kind lady on the phone went to her shop and stockroom to check and found they had about 40g on a cone.  They dispatched it to me and it arrived last Friday - so I was able to make the reins.
So the moral of this story is to make sure you have enough wool before committing to a colour on an item.

No comments: